25 June 2014

Summer DIY Projects under $10!

1. DIY Crafts: Build a Summer Fort



Who didn't love making forts as a kid? It was definitely a staple in my household growing up. So if you have kids now, or if you are just a big kid (like me) and want to create a beautiful, summery fort to take to the beach or post up in your backyard as a nice little place to relax in, here are the directions to do just that: Fort-building 101.

All you need are:
Long Wooden Dowels 
Sheer Tabbed Curtains
Twine
(all things available at Home Depot or your local craft store)


2. DIY Skincare: Coconut Mint Body Scrub


This one is perfect for keeping your skin smooth all summer long! Made with only three ingredients, you'll need: granulated sugar, coconut oil, and fresh mint leaves. Store it in cute little jars and give them to all your girlfriends as 'just because' gifts. 

For the full set of directions: CLICK HERE

3. DIY Style: Leopard Print Shorts


This DIY project is probably my favorite on the list. I've always loved leopard and just thought this style was so different and cute! Grab an old pair of denim shorts and the following supplies: fabric dye, fabric paint, salt & a paintbrush.


4. DIY Skincare: Mini Lotion Bars


I love these little things! They are so easy to make, and so convenient to just toss in your purse for some moisture on the go. You can completely customize the shapes, sizes, colors, and scents of these bars depending on what you like. 

For the basic ingredients, you will need:
Beeswax
Almond Oil
Coconut Oil

Substitutions: If you have allergies or just varying preferences, you can substitute Almond Oil for Jojoba, grape seed, avocado, or even olive oil. You can substitute the Coconut Oil with cocoa butter, shea butter, or mango butter. 


5. DIY Crafts: Make a Handheld Lantern


Great for a table top, hung in your backyard, or as a cute handheld lantern to take camping. Most of the supplies needed for this project are things that you probably already have at home. 

What you need:
Hammer
Towel
Water
Marker
Nail or screw
Tin can or tin bucket
Candle or LED light





If you want to paint your lantern -- Acrylic works really well on the tin and also dries pretty fast. 

For the full set of directions: CLICK HERE

6. DIY Haircare: Coconut Oil Deep Conditioner



True to the saying, "save the best for last" this at-home haircare remedy is my personal favorite. Since I first discovered this amazing natural oil and began using it as a deep conditioner (as well as a ton of other great uses which we will get to), my hair has never seen such loving care and loved me back with such incredible results.

I kept seeing the coconut oil craze all over Pinterest, so I figured what the heck? I'll try it. Someone suggested using it as a deep conditioner for the hair and scalp. I'm always looking for new ways to get my hair to grow longer and thicker so I was totally excited to experiment, especially with something completely natural. I chose to pick up a jar from my local Trader Joe's because I love me some TJ's, but also because the 16 oz. jar is only $5.99 (even in NYC!).

At first I wasn't exactly sure if the oil was supposed to be hot or cold, chunky or melted down, was I supposed to put a lot or just a little bit? I felt lost. Well, since that first awkward time that was spent with oil dripping down my face while wondering if I was "doing it right" but also feeling so trendy and enviro-friendly... I have actually done it enough times to say that I have now mastered this haircare DIY, and I am here to share my flawless technique with you all. 

I've tried it hot, cold, chunky, melted, on wet hair, on dry hair, experimented with varying amounts and leave-in times and what I have discovered is this: it makes no difference hot or cold -- it's more of a personal preference. Chunky is easier to scoop from the jar with your hands and melted makes it very runny and messy -- my preferred consistency is a light chunkiness with a slight melt. Just store it at room temperature and you'll be fine. As far as how much? Well, here is my step by step technique...

STEP 1:
Grab a scoop of Coconut Oil with your hands, run it through your DRY hair from root to tip, and keep adding in more oil until your entire head is saturated. 
Not sopping, just saturated completely.

STEP 2:
Secure in a bun (like pictured above) with a hair tie, shower cap, or cellophane/clear plastic wrap. I personally use the cellophane (no hair tie at all) and find that it works better when the hair is enclosed while being deep conditioned.

STEP 3:
Leave in for 30-45 minutes

STEP 4:
Rinse hair well. Shampoo, rinse, and repeat. 
Shampooing twice is crucial to getting out all the oil!

STEP 5: 
Condition as you normally would after shampooing

STEP 6:
Let hair air dry or blow dry if you prefer

You will feel the difference when you touch your hair after this first experience. Repeat this 1-3 times per week and within one month you will see a seriously noticeable difference in your hair length and strength! I've been trying to grow my hair my entire life and it's FINALLY happening the way that I want it to all thanks to this unbelievable coconut oil deep conditioning treatment.


Happy growing!

...and as promised, the many many many other uses for Coconut Oil:
cooking oil (high heat)
replace with vegetable oil for baking
coffee creamer
eye make-up remover
chap stick
to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy
diaper rash cream
soothes athlete's foot, psoriasis and eczema
massage oil
soothes itch
natural SPF 4 sunscreen
 shaving oil
& lubricant

No comments:

Post a Comment