01 March 2013

Farewell February, Hello March.

February was kind of a weird month for me. Was it weird for you guys too? Anyway I could not be happier to be beginning a new month - and to being just that much closer to Spring time! Spring is one of my faves when it comes to NYC livin'. The clothes get cuter, the restaurants start setting up their outdoor seating, the clothes get cuter, there are so many more fun outdoor activities, more outdoor shows, did I mention the clothes get cuter? Okay I don't know if it's some California stigma that I hold but I am seriously so over wearing a F-ing coat every day.

BRING ME SUNSHINE!

Whew, okay. Glad I got that out. Anyway despite the w e i r d n e s s , a lot of really cool things actually happened in February. I got to see my dad who I hadn't seen in over a YEAR! Which, even given the 3,000 mile difference between us is still a pretty long time. I was blessed with a pretty awesome family so whatever bonding time I can get with them makes me really happy. (Gotta love your fam, man.) Anyway :bonus: I got to see him in sunny Palm Springs where I was able to escape to from NYC for a few days. The weather was totally perfect, just like I dreamt it would be. I mean, the night before. I literally had a dream about it. Anyway! I had the absolute BEST time in the two days that I got to spend with him and my step-mom. We drank, we sang songs, we ate a lot, we laughed a lot, we got real. It was awesome.

Oh yeah! Annnnnnd, I went treasure hunting. That's right. Maybe not the kind you know, but to me - the stuff I found was pure gold. In the garage of my dad's house there are a few boxes that basically hold any and everything that I have ever made or kept that was important to me in my life. I haven't looked through this stuff in YEARS. I waited until I had a couple glasses of wine, and went in...

There were plenty of things in these magic boxes that were highly entertaining to me, but would mean absolutely nothing to you. So, I chose a few things that I thought the average stranger might also find amusing.

FIRST:

I had almost forgotten how much I use to play "dress up" with myself as a kid. I used to create various "looks" that each went along with a different character I had created in my mind. I must be about eleven years old in these photos. 


"Dare Girl" 
Drug free and a total nerd. (Those glasses were not prescription.) And yes, those are silk boxers.

***

...Then one time, my sister and I bought a crimping iron (a.k.a. crimper), because it was obviously really cool, and this happened:


Take a minute. Soak it in. This is really me, and you are so judging my five-head right now, aren't you?

It's okay. It was a pretty ridiculous time looks-wise for me, and I think this look was real life.

***

And alas, the original selfie. Taken with a film camera.


Clearly, I was way ahead of my time.

***

I really wish that I kept a journal more consistently throughout my life. I do it when I can now, but I doubt what I read in fifteen years from now will be as ridiculous as some of the entries I found from fifteen years ago. These were the first few lines of my "Private Diary" that I kept in 1998.


Secrets out. Sorry Jess.

~*wink*~

Ohhhh to be a kid again...but back to adulthood! I should mention that the reason I went out to Palm Springs in the first place was to see two of my closest friends get hitched. This was my first time going to a wedding as an adult and holy balls, weddings are SO MUCH FUN. At the Ace Hotel, the night was filled with great friends, so much family, amazing energy, dancing, and LOVE. And the best part of the whole entire night was the fact that at the end of it all, this happened:


it was GLORIOUS! 

It's rare moments like these that we get in life that will forever be priceless. Treasure every second. Next week I will be taking off on another incredible journey to Thailand to see two more great friends tie the knot and celebrate their lives coming together. I will no doubt blog about my adventure upon my return!

In the meantime, happy March to you all! I hope this month brings everyone great things. I leave you with this: (and don't you ever stop)










No comments:

Post a Comment